Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cathi Milligan's fabu new book- Mod Knots

A "knot" to be missed new book from my super fun friend, Cathi Milligan:

Mod Knots: Creating Jewelry and Accessories with Macrame

A fun and hip re-introduction to the nostalgic craft of macrame, Mod Knots features inspirational projects and a variety of fun, “knotty” techniques. Once you’ve mastered all of the basic knots, you will be able to create a number of wearable projects using those knots, including jewelry, personal accessories and even a halter-top. A variety of materials such as cotton fiber, recycled materials, silk cord and waxed linen go beyond the standard hemp cord to create a whole new look for macrame.

Cathi Milligan has been making jewellery full-time for several years. She teaches workshops around Southern California, demonstrating macrame, glass fusing and other jewellery processes. Television appearances include Slice of Life (the Learning Channel), Operation Style (Lifetime), Jewelry Making (DIY - six episodes) and Craft Lab (DIY).

Cathi Milligan is "knot" to be outdone! She has created a book of some of the coooooolest projects ever! Like this one:
Are those "knot" to coolest earrings? Well flipping though this yummy book, I got inspired and I just had to go and make something.

Being the crafting with a re-purpose person, I went to my recycle bin and found a soda bottle. I know your thinking cute little earrings....soda bottle? hu? Well this is where my wacky brain went to:


It is the same concept of the half hitch knot used in the earrings just done on a really wide band. And in addition to adding the beads to the outer edge a threw a few big round ones on the "across" strings.I used a 16 oz. green Sprite soda bottle. I have pretty tiny wrists so that is what fit over my hand. You may want to test drive your base cuff size. I cut it with a wavy edge.

I also had to use a large eye needle to get the Coats Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread color black and silver #00125 through the beads, Blue Moon Beads Enchanted Planet #BM14352 Zebra round Black and White

Bringing macrame back in a cool way!

Click on Cathi's name below to see us bein' all wacky and her cool cupcake buttons.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin