Friday, April 13, 2012

How to make recycled sweater pansy flowers

As I write this it is coming down in torrents outside my window. So it is only apropos that I be making bloomin' good flowers inspired by the equally bloomin' good book Noni Flowers: 40 Exquisite Knitted Flowers to cheer me up. I bet they will make you smile too!
I might have mention that I am on a big crazy shoe kick (pun intended) right now. One of my favorite quotes I spotted at the Glendale Quilt Show was "Cinderella is proof that shoes can change your life" Well, I took it a step (another bad pun intended). I changed the crazy shoes by embellishing them with recycled sweater pansy flowers I made inspired by knitted ones featured in Noni Flowers: 40 Exquisite Knitted Flowers.
I went to the recycled sweater stash and for this project I went to the tiny scrap bag (yup I don't throw any bit away!)
I cut out the shapes of the petals like the ones in the picture. Then I followed the directions in
Noni Flowers: 40 Exquisite Knitted Flowers on top stitching the petals together with the purple, red and white yarn.

I will surely try knitting some of these beautiful flowers as well as cut up some more sweater scraps into other flowers. There are 40 to try! If you like making flowers too I bet you will find this book as inspiring as I did!

More about the book from the publisher Potter Craft:
Noni Flowers: 40 Exquisite Knitted Flowers
by
Nora Bellows

"Designer Nora J. Bellows’s extraordinary Noni® bag and flower patterns have earned her acclaim and endeared her to a loyal following of knitters all over the world. Now, in her first book, she offers lifelike knitted flowers that rival the beauty of true botanicals. This is a collection of luscious designs and essential techniques that knitters will turn to again and again. Inside, you’ll find:


• 40 exceptional knitted and felted flowers, from Angel’s Tears Ddaffodils to ylang ylang
• 6 beautiful yet practical garment, accessory, and home projects perfect for floral embellishment
• Clear instructions for knitting, felting, wiring, and finishing your work"

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin