Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How to sew a scissor holster garter

Do you like to make projects that have a slightly sinister or snarky quality like I do? Then you will love, love, love the new book Criminal Crafts: From D.I.Y. to F.B.I. Outlaw Projects for Scoundrels, Cheats, and Armchair Detectives. I will be making every project in this book!
The first one I had to make being the scissor aficionado I am was the one Criminal Crafts called a shiv cozy. My version came out more what I would call a scissor holster garter as it's made with elastic lace.

I simply wrapped a piece of elastic lace around my thigh to fit snug.
I then traced the scissors in the shape of a triangle onto a piece of black felt.

I stitched one triangle to the underside of one end of the lace and the other triangle to the top (as in the photo but I did sew with the lace on top). This will form the pocket between the lace.

Then I sewed the triangles together along the two sides leaving the top open. I decided I wanted it a bit smaller so the scissor handles would peek out the top so I did sew it a second time and trimmed.

I can't wait to wear it under something!

If this looks like your type of craft project and want more check out:
Criminal Crafts: From D.I.Y. to F.B.I. Outlaw Projects for Scoundrels, Cheats, and Armchair Detectives
by
Shawn Bowman

more about the book from the publisher Andrews McMeel Publishing:
"Criminals attract an audience. People admire the sneakiness and creativity of the profession while cursing the dastardly outcomes. So why not have all of the tricks without the trade? Criminal Crafts brings together illicit behavior and artistic expression with dark humor in this do-it-yourself project book. Author Shawn Bowman focuses on original crafts and recipes themed in noir, murder, retro espionage, pulp fiction, mafia, and voodoo.

Crafters and mischief lovers alike will love this book of 30 projects revolving around notorious criminals and their activities. From John Dillinger's soap gun to Bonnie Parker's gunshot poetry journal, readers will find themselves both amused and intrigued with the devious creativity. Not to mention how impressed party guests will be when they show up to Flaming Amy cocktails and cocktail bars stashed in violin cases. And just wait until you show off your shiv cozy! From the practical to the classically kitsch, Criminal Crafts are art projects readers will love."

2 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Too funny, Stef.

Just don't forget to take it off before and pack it in your checked luggage going through airport security!

ozlynda said...

That looks like an awesome book. I love it.
I also know other crafters who will love it too!!
Thanks for the review!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin