Thursday, May 3, 2012

How to decorate a sombrero for Cinco de Mayo

 As I have shared in previous posts my neighbors are now expecting gate decorations and not wanting to disappoint I bring you my Cinco De Mayo Sombrero decoration! I was hoping to score one at a thrift store that was all fancy and such but no luck. I did find one though that was plain and figured as the crafty gal I purport to be I could work some festive magic on it. Would you say I did?
 First I went to the pom pom trim box and decided on red. I didn't like how the pom poms were attached with two strings so I cut one of each string for each pom pom and pulled the pom pom down to the end so it would dangle as long as possible. I also got out the raffia and sequins and embroidered a "5" and some zig zags and a fan shape like on the mini sombreros I had.
Happy Cinco De Mayo my crafty peeps!

4 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

How cool. I still have tome (and everything I need) to do this for tomorrow. Glad I saw it justo a tiempo (just in time)!

¡Gracias!

kathleen codyrachel said...

I love your sombrero & feel you must have the patience of a saint!! all those pompoms! - enjoy your Cinco de Mayo - kathleen codyrachel

Tammy said...

That turned out great. What are you going to do with the mini hats? Those are so cute.

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 5 post on Aug. 30, 2012. Thanks again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin