Thursday, November 8, 2012

Altered book page silhouette inspired by the new book Journal It!

The new book Journal It! Perspectives in Creative Journaling by Jenny Doh is so filled with inspiration I just had a blast flipping through and getting excited about making something. This page from Journal It! is all about creating a reverse silhouette but I wanted to do a little work in one of my altered books so I took the idea of a large silhouette and simply did it more on the traditional style but with a similar cool glitter pink print paper.
 Here is my final page with my pink glitter silhouette.
 First I took down a photo of me that just happened to look a lot like the one in Journal It!. I imagine most of us sported little pig tails at one point or another...right?
 I traced the photo and then scanned in the tracing.
I enlarged it as big as I could and printed it out. Then cut out the large outline. I then traced the outline on the backside of the pink glitter paper (I flipped over the outline too).
Then I cut out the pink glitter paper and found a page in the book I was altering that I thought looked good and the writing worked. I have to say I love the large scale of the silhouette, they tend to be little.

If you like experimenting with different styles in your journaling, mixed-media, or altered books I bet you will love:

 Journal It! Perspectives in Creative Journaling
by
Jenny Doh

More about the book from the publisher Lark Crafts:

"Book arts, journaling, and collage come together in Journal It!, where 19 mixed-media artists showcase their signature techniques, tips, and creativity boosters. The featured work ranges from lettering expert Jill K. Berry's beautifully calligraphied travel journals to Jeannette Sclar's whimsical gardening books, and the techniques include everything from toner-based transfer to stitching with fabric and paper. With over 200 inspirational photos to guide them, even beginners can create works of art right from the start."

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin