Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Old metal makeover with the help of the new book- Chic Metal by Victoria Tillotson

This book has page after page of the coolest designs!Chic Metal: Modern Metal Jewelry to Make at Home
By
Victoria Tillotson

All that glitters is not gold–sometimes it’s copper, silver, or brass. With Chic Metal, you can design and create necklaces, earrings, and even cocktail rings out of metals that sparkle and shine. Crafting with metal is easier than you might think. You can make many of these 30 inspiring projects with simple tools you already own, such as wire cutters, pliers, a hammer, and a file. If you love jewelry making and are seeking a new challenge, look no further–you’re ready for some heavy metals.


VICTORIA TILLOTSON teaches jewelry making at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. Her collection and work can be seen at victoriatillotson.com and on the pages of fashion magazines like Lucky.

This is the first design I had to try this disk of holes:

So off to the old jewelry stash to see what I could find. After just a bit of searching I found these disk earrings that I thought would work great.

I simply put different size drill bits in the drill press and just drilled away-no planning!

I then as you can see I polished up the metal to a sparkly finish. I put my new drilled hole disk earring on a chain to convert it into a pendant.

So if you're like me and getting adventurous with your Dremel and drill press, you will love this book!

Craft Safely!

1 comment:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

This is so cool. My DH bought me a Dremel for Mother's Day. (I know ... that's pretty weird.) I've been nervous to try it. You've given me the incentive. Thanks you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin