Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Floral-tasticly good project from the new book- Kanzashi in Bloom

I love making flowers to decorate things and I am always on the lookout for a new way and here one is:
Kanzashi in Bloom: 20 Simple Fold-and-Sew Projects to Wear and Give
By
Diane Gilleland

Kanzashi tsumami is the Japanese art of folding delicate squares of silk into three-dimensional flower petals. In the United States, the online craft culture has sprouted a renewed interest in making Kanzashi with American crafters devising simplified ways to create these gorgeous fabric flowers and incorporating more user-friendly materials like cotton and synthetic fabrics along with the traditional silks.

Kanzashi in Bloom takes the American interpretation of Kanzashi a step further, presenting modern, more easily executed flower designs as elements in a variety of fun, fashionable, hip craft projects. Kanzashi in Bloom offers advice on materials, three petal-folding styles, and techniques for assembling a Kanzashi flower. You’ll also find instructions for 20 projects to wear and give as gifts, including:

• Tiny blossom earrings
• Flowers-in-your-hair clips
• The happiest belt buckle ever
• Elegant floral gift topper

Well since I have to test-drive every craft technique I can possible get my hands on and this one is no exception. I followed the impeccable directions and let's just say I tend to have to try a couple of times when I am doing origami, such is not the case here, first shot out I got it! The photos matched the words and explained everything so clearly.

As you can see in the first photo with the book cover I made a pink gingham flower using two of the folding techniques, the pointed and the round. I think my choice was a bit floppy but I am still tickled with the result. I glued it onto a hair clip and I am wearing it while I type!

So if you are like me and like, flowers, origami, fabric, and making cute little things to embellish and decorate just about anything I bet you will like this book too!

Thanks fellow Church of Crafter for writing such a good book.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Sherri Osborn said...

What a fun book.. This might be a great craft for the wedding planning we are starting as my daughter wants as much of the decorations to be home-made as possible!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

You did good on your first try! It's nice to know in advance whether a new craft form is accessible.

Clearly Kanzashi art can go from fun to elegant. It looks like an excellent book.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin