Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Locked & Loaded Jacket Patches made with The Cricut and the Blackletter font

Is it strange I am making a jacket when it's over 100 degrees out?

This is my first fabric project I made with my Cricut. I am soooooo hooked!

Here is how I did it:

First I ironed Heat and Bond onto the back of a 12 x 12 piece of black cotton fabric (with tiny white dots just to be a bit cute)
Then I die cut the words Locked & Loaded using my Cricut die cutting machine using the Blackletter font.
Then I repeated the process with a piece of white cotton to get the shadow effect for the ampersand (the "and" symbol).

Then I simply photographed a pair of scissors, uploaded it into my computer and printed it out to get my scissor image. I glued it right side down to the back side of the black fabric to cut it out.

Then to make the top and bottom rocker template off to Illustrator. (feel free to download the pattern)
I then glued the rocker patches onto the back of the white fabric and cut them out. Note: The scissors are there only to make sure there was enough space for them.

Then I pealed off the paper backing of the black scissors and ironed it onto the front of the white fabric. Then cut it out of the white fabric with about an eighth inch border.
I then pressed the letters onto the rocker sections and then aligned everything onto the back of my jacket and pressed it all down.

All that was left to do was some raw topstitching around the scissors and some clean stitching with black thread around the rocker patches about an eighth inch in from the outer edge.

Finally I added a stud to the center of the scissors at the hing point.

I think this is going to be like cross stitching is for me (my house is starting to look like a sign shop because I keep cross stitching all sorts of words and sayings) all my cloths are going to have something to say!

And speaking of signs, here is another one I made, snarky eh? Get it? If you want to see how I made this one (including a great way to align and space the letters super easy) pop on over to Craftside.


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Echo said...

AllI can say is AWSOME GIRL! Look at all the work you put into this project and well, I'm just taken back with it. I thinks it looks great!

Rock On!

Cyndi L said...

That is wonderful!!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Great jacket! The Cricut really did a good job on the letters. I'm surprised the fabric is cut so cleanly.

Like the Welcome sign too - not ;-)

Tammy said...

It's always a good idea to make stuff like jackets when you have the time because now you are ready for the cool weather....whenever it finally gets here (sigh!)

Unknown said...

This really looks cool. I appreciated your DIY ideas and I am definitely going to share your blog with my friends.

Thanks!
embroidered shirt patches
back shirt patches

Blog Widget by LinkWithin