Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Buzzing Beaded Bead Bail using a wonderful tutorial from the book- Seed Bead Fusion by Rachel Nelson-Smith

This is what I made today:
Close up and wide shot.
Ironic since I just had to wipe out a wasp nest under the awning of my front porch. Isn't it buzzzz-arre how things work out like that? I know baaaad.
If you haven't been to your local Michaels, JoAnns or craft store and checked out Blue Moon Beads newest lines of baubles, run, don't walk!
One of my biggest beefs with the big box store's products was they looked nothing like what was being sold in the stores that carried off the rack jewelry.

Well, problem solved. These findings are hot! Armed with some cool beads and things I went to my latest jewelry making book for some inspiration:

Seed Bead Fusion: 18 Projects to Stitch, Wire & String
by
Rachel Nelson-Smith

This book is packed full of amazing projects with great directions, mostly they are intricate bead weaving designs like ones on the cover but there are some great wire-working projects like the beaded bead I made using the great photographed instructions from Seed Bead Fusion.

(I did add my own touch by swirling the remaining wire on the front of the pearl)

All that was left to do was to link up all the fun elements from Blue Moon Beads.

Another two details I want to point out:

I used two hooks instead of a hook and ring for my clasp, I did this on another necklace I made and I kinda like it.

And to further dress up the back of the necklace I linked some scraps of chain off of the big hooks and added a small pearl that was the same color as my focal pearl.

Bee happy and make yourself something new!


More about Seed Bead Fusion:

"Featuring 18 exciting projects presented with detailed step-by-step photography, color variations, and practical illustrations, this fresh approach to seed bead jewelry teaches crafters how to combine materials, techniques, colors, inspiration, and design ideas for jewelry with a contemporary edge. Inspired by a wide range of sources—from Indian Punjabi folk costumes to Native American beading—the designs in this inventive resource fuse materials such as silver, copper wire, seed beads, Czech glass, and crystals into these traditional arts in order to achieve a unique outcome. All of the basic beadweaving stitches, wirework, and stringing techniques are explained and illustrated.

Rachel Nelson-Smith is a teacher and a jewelry designer whose work has been displayed at the Milpitas Museum, Santa Cruz Metro Center, and other locations in the California Bay Area. A number of her original projects have appeared in Bead & Button and Bead Style. She lives in Santa Cruz, California."





Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Cyndi L said...

This book really is inspirational, and your necklace is LOVELY!!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

If you think buzzz-arre is baaaad, try saying today's title five times quickly! LOL

The wire-wrapped beaded bail is lovely. What a unique touch to highlight a pendant.

Sherri said...

I am going to have to find this book! :-)

Margot Potter said...

I'm far too impatient to do seed bead work, that's where I started! I have immense amounts of respect for the people who can, this book looks fabulous.

Great necklace!

Cheers,
Madge

riyan said...

nice book it is very interesting. i think this will helps every one a lot. thanks for posting this kind of books.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin