Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Crochet Spider Web Skirt Inspired by some designs by The Crochet Dude's New Book- Crochet It. Love It. Wear It!

The Crochet Dude has got style! His new book Crochet It. Love It. Wear It! is packed full of wonderful designs that I want to wear! And also has the fabulous side effect of getting my personal creative juices flowing. That is what you see above. In the picture you will see the back of Crochet It. Love It. Wear It! and it shows you the two pieces that combined in my brain to give me the idea of crocheting a spider web skirt. The super cute pink dress is styled over a petticoat and the green long skirt had a wonderful open drape that made me think of a spider web. You can see my start on the skirt over the petticoat I plan to wear it over. I promise to post the way I did it soon!

But as a special treat today the Crochet Dude took a moment to answer a few questions and I get the pleasure of sharing his answers with you! Read on.....

1. What does your workspace/ design space look like?

"I love my studio more than I can say in words. When I was looking for a home to buy in Houston one of the criteria was to finally have a proper workspace where I could run my design studio. The house I found has a converted 1 car garage that overlooks the back yard that I have turned into my perfect workplace. My desk is set up so I can look out into the backyard and it feels like I'm out in the country even though I'm only a few miles from downtown Houston!"

2. Do you save your mistakes/ or designs you don't love right away -or ditch them?

"Most of the oopsies are discovered in the swatching phase of designing, and I have kept them all through the years. I go back to the swatch box and rummage through it when i am in need of some tactile inspiration. And Miss Chandler (one of my cats) likes to dive in every once in a while and haul out a swatch to claim. Her fave so far is a fluorescent green swatch made from mason twine."


3. What's on your "next to try" list?

"I really want to try melding crochet with other crafts and get all experimental with it. I have come up with some exciting stuff recently and I can't wait to release it in 2011."


5. Do you ever work with recycled materials?

"Some yarns that are on the market right now are made from recycled material. I think my fave right now is the Lion Brand Recycled Cotton which is made from t-shirt findings. The projects I've made with it feel great, just like your favorite t-shirt!!"


6. What music do you listen to when designing?
"If I'm on deadline I need music that will motivate me to keep going. The soundtrack to Run Lola Run really does the trick. When I'm not under too much pressure I listen to mainly pop music. Something with a beat that you could dance to."


7. How long does a design take you to create?
"A man's sweater can take me up to 3 days, a ladies sweater about 2 days. Accessories such as bags get a bit trickier and I often find myself spending a week on one project."


8. How do you organize your supplies?
"They're not organized. My hooks are in a hook case (shameless plug, I use my hook case from The Crochet Dude(r) line of products)."


9. What books/magazines do you read?
"I love House Beautiful, Martha Stewart Living, and I love the random catalogs that arrive (anything from LLBean to Skymall). I'm in a book club so I find myself reading books that I wouldn't normally choose and I like that. "


10. How would you describe your personal style?

"I hope that my style is perceived as simple and easy to wear. I don't try to try too hard, ya know? I want the crafter's experience to be fun and enjoyable from beginning to end. Let me do the hard part and figure it all out, you just relax with your project and enjoy yourself."

11. How do you determine what a design is going to be made with?

"During the swatching phase I discover very quickly if my first choice of yarn is going to work. I'm open to using anything, but as a designer I have to be careful that the yarn I choose is readily available. Yarns trend and are discontinued on a regular basis. I like to use yarns that have been around and are staples in the yarn industry."


12. Do you have a collection of anything?

"I really don't have a collection now that I think about it. Hmm, is that normal?"

13. And the all important question (from Ravelry) what is your favorite swear word?

"Oh hamburgers!"

Thanks Drew for sharing!
If you Love the "Dude" as much as me and want to make some of his fab crochet designs grab yourself a copy of his latest book with Leisure Arts:
Crochet It. Love It. Wear It! The Ultimate Collection for Every Occasion
By
Drew Emborsky

"Just for the ladies, Drew Emborsky, aka The Crochet Dude , has created 13 cutting-edge fashions in luxurious crochet. Fashion-conscious women are always searching for the perfect Little Black Dress, and Drew has one, plus an incredible selection of other must-have wardrobe pieces. Designs include a party dress, cabled and ruffled cardigans, flirty skirts, a vest, trendy tops including a baby doll style, an asymmetrical long coat, an opera jacket, and a keyhole scarf. The designs are crocheted using a variety of beautiful yarns; the majority are made with sumptuous, organic/natural yarns in worsted or sport weight and are highly textured with enticing post stitches.

For exciting new garments you'll adore, crochet these designs by Drew Emborsky - world-famous The Crochet Dude(r)! Drew created these patterns with plenty of figure-flattering shape and texture. Make a cardigan vest, party dress, or pencil skirt that will accentuate your curves. Let a chic red coat take you out for a night on the town. There's even and ultra-feminine Little Black Dress that you simply must have! And don't forget the graceful openwork skirt to wear over your best skinny pants. Sweet details and sophisticated styling are yours to enjoy with each garment as you crochet, wear, and love it! (added by author)"

1 comment:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Great interview.

I especially like Drew's answers to # 10 and 11. His attitude clearly shows in his designs - easy to wear and using readily available yarns.

Can't wait to see the finished spider skirt, Stef. You have a little more than a month to finish it for this Halloween!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin