Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to make a color wheel dart board inspired by the book Print Workshop

Throwing darts is really fun and why shouldn't the dart board be a bit more "artsy" for those of us creative peeps. And what is more artsy than a color wheel. Well included in the super fun new book Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects there is a tutorial on making a transfer version of a color wheel dart board but I thought I would give it a go with painting my own on a bit of recycled cork.
Here is how I made my recycled cork color wheel dart board.
First a bit of research on ye old web for some diameter info. Then I cut a template out of a recycled mailing envelope.
While I was working on that I had to flatten out the cork I wanted to use as it had been rolled up.
I cut 3 rough squares bigger than the circle and glued them together with contact cement.

A quick cote of house primer I had left over.
Then, I used....eeek.....geometry!!! Yup that pesky thing most say they will never use in their lives and what I use all the time! Each segment is 18 degrees so I measured each section and drew the lines. I found as I was painting the color wheel I liked to use the color straight out of the bottle and then blend back to the colors next to it. I then trimmed up the edges.

I had intended to draw in all the segments and I still might but right now I am enjoying it all organic-like. I am going to look out for a dart board at the thrift store and see if I can pillage the wire part.
If you liked this idea and want a whole bunch more of printing crafts then grab yourself a copy of
Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
By
Christine Schmidt

This is a book for low budgets and high ambition. Read it and you will learn how to put images of things onto other things. You will start by rolling up your sleeves. Your shirt will be stained anyways. At some point, you will harness the power of the sun.

Go ahead, look inside. You will see that you do not need a fancy studio to print a T-shirt or a picnic blanket. There is no specialized machine required to print anything you want in any room you want. A mural, a dartboard, a deck of cards, these are all possible.

In a week or a month, you will wake up to find you know words like acetate and substrate. You will be comfortable talking about ink and shopping at military supply stores. Perhaps most important of all, you will be printing images of things onto other things.

CHRISTINE SCHMIDT is the founder of Yellow Owl Workshop, a company known for its distinctive designs printed with natural materials. Their products are carried in more than 500 stores worldwide, including Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and SFMOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art). Yellow Owl Workshop has been featured in ReadyMade, Martha Stewart Weddings, Daily Candy, Design Sponge, and Apartment Therapy. Chris lives in San Francisco with her husband, Evan Gross, and their two crazy mutts, Calvin and Clementine.

1 comment:

Jean Bowler said...

I like the concept of this book - low budget and high ambition.

Thanks for the fun example.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin