Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How to make a mini dress decoration inspired by the book DIY Art at Home by Lola Gavarry

Today's subtitle is "No scrap left behind" because that is what the primary ingredient is-the tiny little scraps of fabric I save.
Pretty cute little dress, hu?
This page from DIY Art at Home: 28 Simple Projects for Chic Decor on the Cheep with big wall dress decorations was my inspiration. Maybe some day I can make some big wall art like this but for now tiny it is.

How I made my tiny dress scrap fabric wall art:

I sketched a little dress silhouette on the back side of sticky back paper and then cut it out.
Then all I did was cut strips of fabric in varying widths and lay them onto the sticky side of the paper touching edge to edge.
This is what it looked like with all the strips of fabric on from the back side. All that was left to do was trim off the excess fabric.
On the right you can see my first mini dress. It was a bit small for my wire hanger so I mad a slightly bigger mini dress. I do have to say it makes me want to make a full size dress just using horizontal strips of scrap fabric!

More about the book from Watson-Guptill Publications:

DIY Art at Home: 28 Simple Projects for Chic Decor on the Cheep
By
Lola Gavarry

DIY Art at Home shows how easy it is to create modern masterpieces by using a few simple art supplies and the full-size templates that are also included. The book begins with The Practical Studio, which outlines the materials and tips that you'll need to get started. The five chapters that follow--Living Room Spirit, Kitchen Inspirations, Bedroom Influences, Office Décor, and Sweet Expressions--offer 28 fresh, beautiful, step-by-step projects for every room, all with a clean, modern aesthetic that will complement virtually every style of decorating.

Lola Gavarry is a designer who creates artwork for residential clients throughout France. Hiroko Mori is a commercial photographer based in Paris.

1 comment:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love tiny. That's adorable, Stef. What a cute greeting card decoration it would make.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin