Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Make a patch with a rubber stamp project inspired by the Super fun book- Bend The Rules With Fabric by Amy Karol

I have been collecting lots of rubber stamps over the years and I am trying to get to working with them more. Well when I got the book:

Bend the Rules with Fabric:
Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More


by Amy Karol

I got so inspired to break out the stamps and fabric and get creative. There were just tons of fun ideas and techniques, I had a hard time narrowing down my first project, but I did manage to.
I made a stamped patch that I then sewed onto the sleeve of a plain top.This is how I did it:

I started with a scrap of plain white fabric.
-two of my favorite stamp images, two girls fighting and a girl holding a shot gun with a bird on it.
-My Crafty Chica black paint
-some wax paper to make a pallet and a brush to spread the paint out

I spread the paint out into a thin even layer on the wax paper. Then pressed the stamp into the paint evenly and stamped the fabric, I did a few so I would have some to play with.

Then to attach the patch I used:

-Heat n Bond and iron
-embroidery floss and needle
I simply fused the Heat n Bond onto the back of the trimmed image and ironed it onto the sleeve. Then I did a simple running stitch to add a decorative boarder and really secure the patch.

I haven't figured out what the girl with the gun image is going on but I like having it ready to go!

A bit more about the book:
Bend the Rules with Fabric:
Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More


"You’ve bent all the rules with sewing, so now what? It’s high time you made your own fashions even more you with Amy Karol’s next craft revolution: Bend the Rules with Fabric.

Using simple, high-impact techniques:
• painting
• stamping
• dyeing
• silk screening
• photo transfer

You’ll learn everything you need to know to turn a plain piece of fabric or a garment into the perfect showcase for your personality.

In this follow-up to the wildly popular Bend-the-Rules Sewing you will see how easy it is to alter fabric, making and using your own custom stamps; make stencils that will totally transform totes and tees; rescue tired clothes with a new dye job; and use appliqués to spruce up anything that needs a little TLC. With Amy’s familiar, friendly tone and valuable advice, you’ll see every piece of fabric as blank canvas for your artistic vision!

AMY KAROL is an artist, author, and self-professed fabric junkie. Her writing and projects have been featured in Country Living, Sew Simple, Publisher’s Weekly, and BUST magazine, and her designs and creations have been displayed in galleries in Japan and throughout the United States. Follow her crafty adventures on her popular blog, Angry Chicken, found on her website www.amykarol.com"

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Linda Augsburg said...

What a great idea! I want to start monkeying around with fabric and stamps more. Thanks for the inspiration!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What a cool way to use stamps! I love the fighting girls stamp. Too funny ...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin