Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cool technique-Stitchless Embroidery -from the New Book: Fabricate by Susan Wasinger

First let me say I love the play on words of the title of this yummy book:
Fabricate: 17 Innovative Sewing Projects that Make Fabric the Star
by
Susan Wasinger

Create gorgeous one-of-a-kind handmade fabrics and transform them into fun and useful projects with this guide to distinctive cloth-making techniques. This innovative how-to resource uses classic and modern techniques to create interesting custom fabrics that are used in a dazzling array of fresh, stylish yet practical must-have items for one’s wardrobe or home. From laptop cases to evening bags, elegant wraps to flirty skirts, floor pillows to whimsical curtains, this tutorial uses a variety of easy fiber-art and fabric-manipulation techniques to create original fabric projects from wearable designs and touching gifts to home décor. In addition to the cloth-making techniques, there are 17 projects that show what can be made with each unique fabric.

Additional instruction is included to create unique effects with pleats and crinkles; puckers and tufts; cut-and-fray fabric techniques; laminates that add colorful, versatile, and playful layers; surface embellishment techniques like cording, appliqué, and crazy stitch; heat-treated techniques like burn-out, burn-away, and fabric etching; fabrics designed with solvy and repeating notions like rickrack, hooks and eyes, and zippers—leading to many endless possibilities.

Truer words have never been blogged!

I love all things fiber and this book is just packed with techniques and beautiful designs that utilize them. It was so hard for me to pick which one to make first.

I decided to go with one I had never tried:

Susan calls it "Stitchless Embroidery"

And I LOVE it!

So first I gathered up a bunch of elements that the directions called for, scraps of fabric and fiber, a shear overlay fabric and an under layer, in my case it was a recycled felted wool sweater, go figure.
I then fused the lightweight iron-on adhesive to the shear fabric and then to the element covered sweater scrap.
Here it is all trimmed up:I don't know yet what I'm going to do with this, maybe a page in an altered book? Got any ideas out there?
I think I might try this with paper next or a combo of both, hmmmmm?

So if you are looking for new ways to use fabric and fiber you will love this book too!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin