Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Easter Egg Locket necklace

The first line in the description of the book Curious Dreams is, "It's all about creating the curious." and I have to say the book inspired me to do just that. One of the most "curious" charms is a locket and the new line Fairy Tale from Blue Moon Beads has 3 charming lockets including one of my all time favorite shapes- an egg. The egg locket and some of their other new clasps, chain and bead strands were the perfect elements to make a spring mixed media necklace inspired by one of the pieces in the gallery section of the eye candy filled book Curious Dreams.
Now this book is packed full of really cool casting and molding techniques that I am so going to try when I score some epoxy clay but right now it's the tiny fun details that have my creativity hatching.
So I wanted the egg locket to be the focal dangle and I linked it onto this great big beautiful toggle clasp. Coming off each side I used super sized chain (this is Blue Moon Bead's as well although it's from their Fashion Findings line) and on the other side I used a smaller chain and the Fairy Tail Acrylic and Metal Bead strand.

I attached each side while the lengths were long and then held it up to my neck in front of the mirror to decide how long I wanted it to hang. I used safety pins to mark each length. I opened the links on each side and then linked the two ends together since the clasp is in the front.
Since this pretty little enameled egg is in fact a locket and opens up it needed something in it like the inspiration piece had. A great source for tiny photos is the contact sheet you get when you have your photos printed. I had the perfect photo of me and my cousin from a few Easters back with our bunny ears on.
I trimmed the photo down and glued it into the egg locket on one side. I will keep my eyes out for another tiny photo or something else for the other side or to layer on top of the photo but for now your curiosity will just have to be sparked!

More about the book:
Inspired Remnants, Curious Dreams:
Mixed Media Projects in Epoxy Clay

By
Kerin Gale

"It's all about creating the curious. Inside this book, you will be introduced to 26 very unique and unusual stepped-out projects, each offering new techniques using epoxy clay. Two-part epoxy clay can be sculpted and manipulated in a variety of ways and is extremely durable when cured, resulting in amazing effects that are easy to achieve with no sculpting experience necessary! You will learn the basics of working with this new craft medium and then dive into the projects, which feature sculpted and molded epoxy clay inspired by and often combined with altered remnants. Projects include mixed-media pieces such as a small totem, curio cabinet, fish tank and lighting along with personal style and jewelry items fashioned in a curious, Victorian Gothic style.

Kerin is part mad scientist, rogue artist, goddess of software quality, teacher, writer and explorer of all things curious. When not in the studio or garage sailing, she can be found frolicking about deserted beaches seeking out windswept treasures and watching inspiring tales wafting by in a remote area of the southern Oregon coast.

Kerin loves to work with many art materials including resins, found objects, clays of all sorts and metals.

Another great love is sharing with other artists. To that end she has launched an online mixed media art site with their own etsy team, a huge collection of art images, online workshops, featured artists, book reviews and artistic challenges.

She, along with her gifted husband, Charley Slaughter, create mechanical art (automata), sculpture and jewelry and are represented in several galleries. They also teach at national art retreats as well as local venues. Kerin's work can be found in Somerset Studio magazine, Altered Bits Zine, 1,000 Steampunk Creations (Quarry Books July 2011) and 500 Pendants and Lockets (Lark Books May 2008)."

1 comment:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

That's just perfect for spring, Stef. The egg lockets are darling. I like the clasp in front idea too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin