Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Punk rock rubber ducky and super sized winged ducky inspired by the book The Artful Bird

Once a punk rock girl now a punk rock themed crafter. I mean really, don't all rubber duckies need a giant mohawk?
Back in this post I got all my ducks in a row. Now I am putting my crafty touch on them with a bit of inspiration from the fun book The Artful Bird: Feathered Friends to Make and Sew.
At the big box craft store they have these plain white rubber duckies that you can draw on to make them your own. Well, I thought I'd add to them.
Since these little guys were likely to be around water plastic was going to be my material. Off to the plastic bottle stash and I had a nice white bottle to run through the Sizzix die cutter. I was actually thinking a milk jug was going to work but I didn't have one at hand. Imagine that?
This page from The Artful Bird with all sorts of wing surface treatments was my inspiration. Again I had to stick to plastic material to hold up around water and what is great for that?
Why yes, a Tyvek shipping envelope is perfect. And what better way to cut it than with with the Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Cutter with the scalloped or pinking blade to make tons of strips in seconds flat!
I scuffed up the plastic bottle wings a bit with sand paper so the glue would stick better and then laid the Tyvek strips on overlapping them and leaving the outer edges loose so that they would stick up a bit. Then a quick trim for shaping.
Now these guys were too heavy to float without some sponge assistance. I had one wing left and my wacky head thought it looked hysterical as a mohawk, so that is what it became! I had so much fun photographing them floating around.

More about the book:
The Artful Bird: Feathered Friends to Make and Sew
by
Abigail Patner Glassenberg

Join the flock! Create your own aviary of charming, beautifully detailed, one-of-a-kind fabric bird sculptures with basic machineand handsewing, embroidery, and mixed-media craft techniques. The Artful Bird presents 16 incredibly charming, quirky, personality-filled birds for you to make! Through a detailed chapter of step-by-step basic birdmaking techniques and tips, you will not only learn to make these cute creatures, but also discover how to craft your own patterns for almost any bird—real or imagined.

Inside you’ll also find Glassenberg’s creative ideas to give each bird individual character and personality, from using paint and glitter to adding collage elements. Plus, check out an international gallery of birds from other noted fabric bird makers for more inspiration!

2 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Gosh it looks like you can put just about anything through that Sizzix die cutter. Amazing!

fialka012 said...

Pěkné...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin